IFTTT Sunrise/Sunset Event Generator
Click for Help
How to connect:
- Go to IFTTT Maker and connect it to your IFTTT account
- Click the 'settings' cog in the top right of the maker screen
- Make a note of your 'Maker Key'. The maker key is the text in the URL part of the screen. You only need the last bit. So for example if the URL is:
https://maker.ifttt.com/use/xyZvZHbPdm3zVOjip5H99a then the maker id is:
- Create two Maker applets in IFTTT. The first one should have an (all lower case) event name of:
sunrise The second should have an event name of:
sunset Wire them up to trigger whatever, for e.g. turn on a light at sunset.
- Put the Maker Key into the box above
- Enter your UK postcode
- Test the events are wired up correctly by clicking the 'Test' buttons. If everything is wired up correctly then the tests will pass and IFTTT things will happen such as a light will turn on.
- The default IFTTT sunrise/sunset trigger provided by Weather Underground can be delayed by up to one hour.
- This app is accurate to within a minute of local sunrise/sunset times.
- Just because I wanted to have a play.
- Not tested outside the UK because I couldn't get my head round timezones just yet. Also, I have no idea if it will work when the clocks change!
- If you accidentally regenerate your IFTTT Maker Key by clicking on the 'edit connection' button then the old Maker Key still seems to work but with a 20-30 minute delay.
- If you are any way concerned then leave the Weather Underground triggered IFTTT applets as backstops as it doesn't matter if your light gets told to turn off twice.